Thursday, December 2, 2010

Memorial Tribute to Fallen Colleagues


Within the last year a number of very closed friends have passed onto eternal life.  I devote this blog to the memory of those friends and the many other associates who are resting in the peace of the Lord.

Dr. Mark W. Seng died Thursday afternoon, January 21, 2009 in Brackenridge Hospital – Austin, Texas. He died peacefully passed away peacefully in the presence of his wife Mary. We valued our friendship that lasted for many years.  May his soul rest in peace.  We will forever remember him for his friendship, kindness and words of wisdom. In the words of his wife, “he thought so much of you and your family and appreciated your keeping in touch so regularly during his retirement. That kind of loyalty is rare and I want you to know that I saw his happiness when he received cards or e-mail from you. Thank you”.

Monday, August 4, 2010, we got the sad news of the passing onto eternal glory of my beloved adviser, English education professor at the University of Wyoming, and good friend, Dr. Eugene V. Moran. May his soul rest in peace.  I know Gene felt that it was time for him to go and meet his dear wife Kathleen who passed away in 2005. Both of them, devoted catholic Christians are now together in God’s Kingdom.

After Gene’s eightieth birthday, he continuously made it clear in our communication by e-mail and phone that he would love for my family to visit him in Wyoming soon because he was getting ready to go to the Lord. The following is a quote from one of his latest mail: “I would welcome you with open arms. Maybe your whole family could come. I'd be thrilled, but we must plan that soon. As you know, I am of an advanced age. Even so, I am strong and healthy...”

Gene died peacefully in his home satisfied that he had done God’s will and that it was time to move on. I knew Gene well and spent quality time with him both in and out of the classroom in Wyoming in the early eighties. I spent time with his family on many occasions and witnessed his loving kindness to his family, friends, colleagues, students and the Laramie community.

Dr. Gwendolyn D. Coe passed way Thursday, August 19, 2010 at Southwest Health Center in Platteville, WI. Gwen was a very close colleague in the School of Education.  She was a teacher and advocate of early childhood education. She served as a professor of Early Childhood Education at the University of Wisconsin – Platteville and Teacher Education Coordinator.  She took over the post from me prior to my leave of absence and I am delighted to resume the coordinator position as she requested on her sick bed.  Gwen enjoyed traveling and spending time with her family. She is survived by her husband, Michael Coe, who resides in Platteville, WI, her two sons, Eric and Sean. Memorial services were held on Saturday, August 28th, 2010 in Platteville. Memorial donations where sent  to support the Grant County Family Literacy Fund.

No comments:

Post a Comment